Tuesday, July 23, 2019

My Unwilling Sacrifice

As I slept in the womb
Ready to become "life"
I breathed in, and out in syncopation
To my mother's heart
After birth I was taken
Quickly to a baby room
For we were now considered to be alive
A violent rape led to my creation
The truth of this has left many scars
I was not forsaken I survived, unconsumed
But 10 years later, I'd have been a sacrifice
Upon modern altars of terminal gestation
Where the unborn are stolen for parts, ripped apart
Knowledge of this left me not broken but awakened
As an adult, I live, I have overcome, my victory won
Despite my society's casual disregard for a baby's life

“If after I die, people want to write my biography, there
is nothing simpler. They only need two dates: the date 
of my birth and the date of my death. Between one and 
another, every day is mine.” Fernando Pessoa