Thursday, September 10, 2020

faded photograph

Opening a box of memories I pick up a photograph
Faded, black and white with writing I can't make out
But it makes me think of things to say
I never regret the things I do
This time's an exception
I regret meeting you on that auspicious day
You stole from me all I could be
When you told me what to believe
And proved I was a fool
Years later it still stings
You cruelly made me lame
Wounded me permanently
I was an idiot to keep dreaming
While you were using me
To steal my hope my future, my love
You broke every rule
Leaving me without a heart only scars
Never enough love, acting tough but I am a child
Cringing from the strike, my heart once was wild
Oh how you tamed me and shamed me
And gave back my name when I was finally emptied

“People speak sometimes about the "bestial" cruelty of man, but that is terribly unjust and offensive to beasts, no animal could ever be so cruel as a man, so artfully, so artistically cruel.”  Fyodor Dostoyevsky