Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Burnt and broken, I failed my King

Upon this planet we've four intelligent species
And with our great intellect, each are fools
Making new ways to make war upon others
My species is distinct in that we've wings
The rivals of ours, have skin twice as thick
Strength that could crush typical humanoids
All the other races, great and small are unusual
But the normal, of our world, is that we fight
Wars upon wars, scars upon our hearts
But whenever my Great King calls
I answer with my elite band
We follow orders, flying above the cities
As repeated launch of fire arrows fired
To prevent us from passing over the walls
And into the unprotected areas of their land
My wings were fully extended, and burned
My flight of warriors were nearly all taken
And the fire from the arrows, charred my skin
Wings broken, crashed soon my life would end
But this was due to my being one of the chosen
I fought for my people and land, and thus I fell
To battle over a frozen valley, to burn or die
My leader had given me hope, I'd no reason
With wings, having burned flesh, I was done
My ability to fight gone, it felt like treason
I wanted to fight, even die for my great king
Could only watch, was opposite of my being
I bled out, extreme pain, all I could is dream
An end of my life was unworthy, my body
Was cast into the eternal stream, of death
Another would come, take over my flesh
And use it, as I would have, had I not died
In the service of my great King