Monday, September 23, 2024

As we are taken down, it destroys more than the ship

Turning 17, I joined the USN and war to be like my brothers, but really I'm not
After the 2 torpedoes hit our ship, we'd less than 2 minutes to grab for anything
In shark and the Japanese Navy infested waters, we'd little to no chance to live
The only alternative to trying to escape was to die, let the waters pull you down
And drown as the pressure of ocean depths, and lack of oxygen suffocate you
My older brothers both made it home, and I won't, for certain I will not
For the moment, I knew my fate, began to appreciate my dying man's lot
I'd seen my brothers and mother last month, found hope the war would be over
So now as I sink with the ship, I believe, it won't be long before this fades
And all my countrymen, and all the Japanese servicemen will go home
I don't hate the Japanese, nor want to kill anyone, I want to be home
And no doubt, so have most who have died so far, and will hereafter
Cheers, I am about to lose conscious, cling to the reasons we are a country
Equality, abundance, free speech, and everything that unites us forever