Monday, November 11, 2019

make you smile

I wanted only what would make you smile
But that required a great deal of sacrifice
And an impish demon's guile
I thought I wanted a life together with you
But my heart wanted proof of life
And more to make it smooth
What is there? Why bother?
If it is all meant to take you down
Who cares as the pain smothers
And there is no holy ground
Nothing matters, it never did
Except for the heart burning within
It burns to embers
So I offer only this
I have nothing
But fire
And ash
But if that can make you smile
Let's do it



“...And, all at once, the moon arouse through the thin ghastly mist, And was crimson in color... And they lynx which dwelleth forever in the tomb, came out therefrom. And lay down at the feet of the demon. And looked at him steadily in the face.”  Edgar Allan Poe