Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Úlfhéðnar of the Rus



For his pleasure we were called
To be the children of Odin
We are his warriors
And have moved
Across oceans
Over deserts
Through forests
To reach the destination
The ground trembles
As we arrive before
The enemy’s fortress

berserkir
berserkir

Are we prepared to die
If the Grey god calls
We must be ready
We are primed for battle
The war horns call out
Making my blood boil
My breathing rhythmic
My pulse rising
My rage grows deep
Inside me churns
About to escape
The beast within me
Responds

berserkir
berserkir

My muscles contract
My countenance focused
I abandon my shield
In each hand I hold an axe
I enter battle
And become
A crimson wave of death
Soon I am covered
My hands become sticky
Slimy with the blood
Of the enemy
The Valkyries
Will soon be busy

berserkir
berserkir

The field smothered
With broken bodies
The grass becomes greasy
From the enemy’s blood
The fields will someday bloom
My body is wet
Red from the viscera
Covering me
Valhalla is watching
This battle is proof
I’ve harvested already
So many men
The realm of Hel
Will be pleased
For I’ve sent men
To the land of the dead

berserkir
berserkir

In the future
Upon this site
Young lovers will walk
Here and there they might find
A trinket or bone
From the warriors fallen
The enemy dead left behind

berserkir
berserkir

To my king, I am his weapon
To the enemy, their doom
A disaster I am
Every blow will land
They pile up before me
All of them dead
The enemy was driven
From the field
Like dust before a broom
None escape
None stand alive
And all I see is red

berserkir
berserkir