Monday, September 6, 2010

Not my friend, not my lover



“For the poison of hatred seated near the heart doubles the burden for the one who suffers the disease; he is burdened with his own sorrow, and groans on seeing another's happiness.” Aeschylus


Sorrow gives me company
All the time when I’m lonely
It holds me tightly
Never gives me room to grow
But it is more than nothing
Which is all I have
Sorrow doesn’t comfort me
Sorrow isn’t what I prefer
But alone is all I am
In a crowded room
At a party in my honor
Sorrow is the companion
Who never leaves
I am broken inside
And sorrow is there
It never deceives
It never tells me what to believe
It is the one who never lies
It never hurts me or wears a disguise
Sorrow is not my friend
Sorrow is not my lover
But we are endlessly together
Never apart,
When I bleed
And when I am alone
It is there
For me

“Bear and endure: This sorrow will one day prove to be for your good.” Ovid