Thursday, May 2, 2013

WINTER KILL

I am often asked why I don't make more books of "pure" poetry, rather than epic and genre poetry.  Fantasy or science fiction poetry might not appeal to many readers.

That might be true.   However, I grew up reading Beowulf, The Song of Roland, Le Morte D'Arthur and more.   Epic poems, however archaic, for me are in my blood.  So I will never stop writing them myself.

I did write a series of autobiographical poems and mixed in them a series of semi autobiographical poems I wrote about the world I saw with the birth of and growing up of my son.

When I contacted artist Simon Huelsbeck of SimonHuelsbeck.net about working together on something he wanted to do something with poetry, and something serious.   His work is speechlessly beautiful, beyond description.   This poem series fit his work, and we named it Winter Kill.   My cousin and talented artist Mark Orluck impressed me with his ability to show a certain spirit through his work that I thought would be useful as a point to make at the end of the book, and he provided some beautiful images too.

The end result is a somber work, and one all the people asking me for a serious work should enjoy. 

WINTER KILL

I am asking for your support, of course, but this work is special, you see, it is an autobiographical poetry work, with beautiful paintings, and pen and ink drawings, for a very inexpensive price.   We are offering it after what has been a very long winter, and we've all seen acts that have caused horrible sorrow in the recent days.   Winter is long.   Let us rise up, and over come the cycle of the seasons, and find permanent joy.